Wednesday, April 4, 2012

One Giant ultra… Off we go (Part 2)



Following Beat and Chris as we leave town

Section 1:

As I had hoped, and judging by my experience the previous year at Ultra Trail Du Mont Blanc, it was an epic start - classical music echoed off the stone buildings and the energy of 310 runners about to embark on an amazing journey. I got a good-luck hug from Erin and Gabi and headed to the start line where I found Beat and Chris. I realized I forgot to do a few things and quickly took care of them in the last few minutes. With about one minute to go I was ready. At 10am on Sunday morning we began our adventure. I was unable to keep up with Beat’s pace, but I had a similar pace to Chris and we made our way up the first climb. Chris also takes amazing pictures and I was looking forward to seeing them, especially the ones I’m featured in. Everyone seemed to be going out pretty fast or I was just slow. I decided to hold back, my plan was to take the first 100mile easy so I had something left for the last 100-plus miles. Soon I realized there would be no taking it easy. The course was so tough that taking it easy and moving wasn’t possible. I settled for trying to not push too hard and did what I could to keep moving at a reasonable rate or at least faster than the required 1.5 mph.

Looking back down toward the Start

The first 17km to La Thulie was tough and took me four hours, but was still on my 100-hour schedule. It was great to see Gabi and Erin at La Thulie and I was feeling great - at this rate maybe I would make it to the first life station before dark. After I left Thulie it all changed. The trails became much steeper. The ups were often giant rock steps and other less steep or downhill sections became technical to a point when I was climbing over boulders. In my effort to somehow navigate and keep moving I followed a group of runners across a massive boulder field and realized I was on the wrong side. I think the other runners were taking an alternate route, but I wanted to follow the official course so had to cross back to get on the trail again. Getting back on course involved some minor rock climbing. By the time I was back on the correct trail I had added a mile and about 40 minutes. It seemed all the trails now were too technical for me to run on, whether they were up, down or flat. Hours and hours passed. I asked a French runner, who was familiar with these trails, if there were more sections like this. He grinned and said yes. As I climbed up the pass the sun set and darkness fell. I went up some steps cut into the side of a cliff that dropped off to a black abyss. There was a safety rope that I held tightly until we moved away from that section. So much for making it before dark. Eventually we dropped back into the valley. I saw TDG signs, arrows painted on the street so knew I was getting close. Those 30km took me 10 hours. Now I was scared. What had I got myself into? The first 50km took me 14 hours.

Crazy Rocky Section see the runner by the big rock


Here a zoomed in version of the same image

I came into Valgrisenche, the first life station, about 1am on Monday. As I entered I was given something that looked like a chocolate cookie on a ribbon, but before I tried to eat it I realized it was a wooden medal. Each life station gave us a medal so my plan became to get all seven. I also realized since I almost ate my medal I probably needed some food.

The life stations were the major aid stations with areas to sleep, hot food and showers, access to your drop bag and crew. It was great to see Erin and Gabi there. I didn’t want to spend too much time, but end staying a little over an hour regrouping and figuring out how I was ever going to finish this race. The first 50km was harder than anything I had done before or even imagined. Some of my friends, who had slept or tried to sleep, were still at the life station. I was treated to pizza, pasta and other goodies from my crew and life station. Another concern was I had the start of some chaffing, not good for so early in the race so I tried to take care of it and hoped it wouldn’t get worse.

Eventually I headed out into the night hoping the next section would be a little easier. On my way out I Gabi warned me it was going to be harder with some major climbs.

1 comment:

Erin said...

It had started raining that night and got quite chilly. Spectators were ringing a cow bell every time a runner came in. We were so glad when one of those headlamps was you!